Mumma's Chili Recipe
I have a confession to make. I do not LOVE cooking. It's one of those things that I have to be in the mood to do. When I do get in the mood I like to batch cook so I can freeze some for another day when I'm not feeling like cooking. This is one of the staple meals I like to batch cook. It's easy, hearty and it is the recipe that my mom used to make so it brings back good memories of her curled up on the couch with a bowl of warm chili. It is a semi homemade dump recipe which are my favorite kind of recipes because there is minimal prep and you just dump the ingredients in a pot and cook.
I like to keep my pantry stocked with these ingredients year round and buy them when they are on sale. Then, when I have a sudden urge to cook I don't have to run to the grocery store in search of everything I need. This can be slow cooked in a crock pot and kept warm all day or you can cook it on a stove top. If also freezes well.
1 can kidney beans
1 can chili beans
1 can diced tomatoes with chilis
1 can tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
1 pound ground beef
1 TBSP olive oil
4 celery sticks
1 packet chili seasoning mix
1. Brown ground beef and drain grease
2. Dice 1 onion and about 4 sticks of celery (I like to keep my celery on the larger side to add some texture to the chili.)
2. In a large pot add 1 tablespoon olive, onion and celery. Sauté until slightly tender
3. Add cooked ground beef
4. Pour in kidney beans, chili beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste and chili seasoning. Cook on medium heat until warm.
* You don't have to pre-cook the onion and celery if you plan on slow cooking it because it will soften as it is cooking in the crock pot.
Some ways to serve it is with rice, cornbread, or fritos. Top with a sprinkle of cheese or sour cream.
Share in the comments if you tried this and how it turned out.